Friday, September 5, 2008

Date Night

It's not often we get a date night these days. It requires a night off and the forethought to schedule a babysitter—two things we lack.

Sometimes things magically fall in place like they did the other night: My mom was watching Sage as she does one night every week so I can mountain bike, but my plans fell through. I had to work late. Then Chad called to tell me he was getting home early. Kismet! Insta-Date Night! (My working late is still getting off early for Chad).

We both arrived home around 7:30 PM and promptly got ready for our date.

No, we did not go to a romantic, candle-lit dinner. However, it was dimly-lit. We went trail running, in the dark, in the pouring rain. Yes, you heard me: trail running, in the dark, in the pouring rain. A lesser woman would not be able to handle this kind of thing, but for me it was exactly the therapy I needed after staring at a computer monitor for ten hours straight.

I laced up my gortex trail running shoes and threw on a headlamp and hit the trails. We warmed up for the first 1/4 mile before splitting up, Chad runs way too fast for me. As it turned out we happened to pass each other a few times out on the trail. And because it was a date, love-pats and smooching were allowed mid-run. 

We both saw a half dozen deer and an owl that lives near Lost Lake. We had a great time and it was a lot of fun. 

I love date nights.

No comments: