Friday, February 24, 2012

New Season

Last fall I decided to test my legs and Cat. up to the Expert/Elite field--feeling just a touch way out of my league. I like challenges. Especially far-reaching ones. I find no shame in racing against dedicated, amazing, FAST women and coming in DFL (dead-fudgin-last). That's what I call fun. Standing on a podium means nothing without first overcoming the impossible challenge!

There was a bit of nervous banter among the women, the normal down-playing and throwing out of excuses "I'm recovering from an injury" or "work has been so busy, no time to train!" It's the same at every race. You'd be hard-press to find someone brazen enough to admit they've trained like hell and are ready to mow anything over that gets in her way. I digress . . .

Most everyone knows each other because, lets face it, women mountain bikers are a select group—especially at the Expert/Elite level. I was a new face and it was noticed. I was taken-aback when one person asked who I raced for. Myself! was all I was able to mumble. It got a good chuckle (most, if not all of them race for a team). Then before I knew it, the gun was shot and it was time to race.

I have thought about that moment a lot, especially recently. Because this season I will be racing for more than myself, I'll be representing the Grand Traverse Mountain Bike Association.


I am really excited for this opportunity. Traverse City has fast become one of our family's favorite places to visit. We find ourselves returning season after season. There are many great things about Traverse City that we love, but, admittedly, one of the main reasons we find ourselves there so often throughout the year is the Mountain Biking--for everyone in our family.

Between the Bike Park at Timber Ridge Resort and the VASA Single Track trail system, there is something for everyone in our family to enjoy. We traditionally close our frequent visits with a family bike ride along Grand Traverse Bay and have spent many days cruising along the TART Trail System.

I am thankful for the opportunity to represent a place and an organization that has given our family so many great memories already. It's going to be an exciting and fun season racing for GTMTBA!

For more information on the Grand Traverse Mountain Bike Association (GTMTBA), please visit their website.
Click here for information on getting your own VASA and TART Trail Map, courtesy of GTMTBA