Wednesday, March 7, 2012

2.5 weeks to BRX

Yup, that's right. Just 2.5 weeks until Barry-Roubaix. I feel as though I've procrastinated the last--oh. . . uh, I'd say 4 months. Woops! Poster art by Daniel Clark.

The dwindling calendar coupled with a successful Mountain Bike Registration Week (Iceman AND Lumberjack 100) has me eager to get my wheels spinning!

. . . . And then lil' Bear got sick. Late nights, sleepless nights, doctor appointments, missed work, etc. Training is the bottom of the list. I was hoping to get in a pre-ride of the BRX course later this week, but that is now not going to be possible. Heh, pre-riding the course is over-rated.

Bear stayed home one more day yesterday. From the start it was apparent that he was well on his way to wellness. Which meant he would not want to snuggle the day away. Nope, he'd want to play Firefighter, Monster, or Trucks. That's alright. I had a plan.

Oh yes, we played trucks. And monsters. And firefighters. And then we played them some more. I was going to play circles around this kid until he played himself out. Then I fed him a nice carbo-loaded lunch. And while he ate, I set the final stages of my plan: I hung knock-out drapes, set the white-noise machine, got the humidifier steamed up, lined the stuffed animals and created the perfect Snuzzle Nest.

Bathroom, drink, blanket, moose, hug, kiss, prayers . . . and then I tiptoed to the door and gently closed it . . . "mom! Lamby! I need my lamby!" Arghhhhhhh. Lamby, where the heck is his stuffed lamb? These kids have way too many and care way too much about their stuffed animals. Thankfully I found lamby pretty quickly, riding one of the dump trucks in the play room. Another hug, another kiss and I was out that door.

I whipped on my cycling gear, mounted my bike on the trainer, and started a Spinerval DVD. Because I was certain he'd be stomping down the stairs at any moment (how is it possible that a child that weighs 30 pounds sounds like a herd of elephants tromping through the house?) I pushed myself beyond my limits. If I was only going to get 5 minutes on the bike, it was going to be a dang effective 5 minutes!

Surprisingly, Bear slept and I was able to finish the entire Spinerval DVD! My legs were completely and totally wasted afterwards.

Bear ended up napping for four hours! It was such a long nap that I worried he had gotten up and walked out of the house while I was doing the spinerval workout. I finally broke down and went in his room to wake him up. That's how good of a Snuzz Nest creator I am.

Last night we had an impromptu family night. The kids wanted to go to the track to run races. My legs were not up to the challenge! Despite my greatest efforts (believe me, I tried my hardest) I could not keep up with my 6 year old daughter. She won, fair and square. I'm just hoping I can still keep up with her this summer for the 1 mile fun run circuit.

1 comment:

Tania K said...

Greeat reading this