Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Benchmark

With less than 60 days to the Lumberjack 100, it was vital for Chad and I to hit a 50-mile single track training ride. Unfortunately the two weeks preceding dealt us some unexpected stress, limiting my training and halting Chad's altogether. A big thank you goes out to my Aunt and Uncle who watched the kids for us so we could get in this important ride.

Au Sable River on the North Country Trail
The Plan: To ride easy, get in at least 5 hours of riding. If we didn't hit 50 miles, that would be okay, I just wanted 5 hours on the saddle. We drove north to US 10 trail head of the North Country Trail: that would be our home base. We could ride south for about 10 miles before bikes are no longer allowed on the trail. At that point we'd turn around and ride back, getting 20 miles total. We'd stop to eat a quick lunch and then ride north for 15 miles before turning back, giving us the remaining 30 miles.

I could tell Chad and I had different ideas of what a "lunch break" was going to entail. I expected a quick roll up to the truck, swap out water bottles, grab a sandwich and ride off into the woods!

Chad, not so much. At lunch he informed me he was sitting in the truck and wanted to read a book for 20 minutes or so. I had a feeling this might happen when I saw what he packed . . .

Yes, that is Pace Picante Sauce and tortilla chips. Not my idea of ride-ready food . . . 
The Ride: We started off at a good pace, about 10 MPH. It was a little harder than I had planned, but I was feeling good. If you have not ridden the trail south of US10, do it! It was very scenic and a lot of fun. At one point Chad hollered back "Look at that hill to the left!" All I could see was a wall of brown and orange leaves. That was one mother of a hill (for us lower west michiganders). Then the trail arched to the left and we began a long, weaving climb to the top.

The first 10 miles went quick and it was time to head back. I knew we had a lot of climbing to do but we'd be rewarded with some fast, swooping descents. After 2 short hours, I couldn't believe we were at the truck and it was time for lunch already.

My legs were all warmed up and ready to go!!!! 

But instead we sat in the truck. As the minutes ticked by the more my body began to shut down. A little switch flipped and said it was nap time. 


I nearly hurled when Chad opened the Salsa. Ugh. By the time we (meaning he) was done with lunch, I was cold, tired, and lethargic. But there were 30 miles to go yet.

Chad quickly rode away from me in the first mile. I could not get my legs to work. I felt woozy and was pedaling square. I told him to go on ahead, we would each turn around at the 1:30 mark. I wouldn't get in 50 miles, but I would achieve 5 hours on the bike. It was disappointing, but acceptable.

After 45 minutes, my legs came back to me and I was once again riding happy and free. Before I knew it 1:30 passed. I looked at my mileage and realized I only needed to ride out 1 more mile to get 50! Screw the clock, I was getting my 50 miles. 

I ended up crossing paths with Chad and he rode the remaining bit of trail with me so we could ride home together.

It was a great ride and a lot of fun. 

Total Miles: 50.12
Time: 5:16:32 (not including the lunch break)
Elevation Gain: 11,012 feet

No comments: