Thursday, April 5, 2012

Getting in the hours

Training for a 100 mile mountain bike race is taking me to new places--the backyard?


There are only so many hours in the day, fortunately, because, let's be honest, if there were more hours we'd find more work to do in spite of ourselves. Unfortunately, it also constrains the time I can allocate to riding my bike.

My husband Chad runs a family business, for those that are reading that have built a business of your own, you already know what kind of time commitment and dedication that requires. Luckily I have a somewhat flexible job, so although I'm caring for the kids alone most evenings and many Saturdays, I am able to squeeze in a 60-90 minute workout on my lunch a few days a week. Sundays we generally reserve for family time.

That schedule has been sufficient for most xc racing. But a 100-mile race is an entirely different breed. My race time in the saddle is going to go from 2+ hours to over 10 hours (hopefully not much longer than that!).  60 minutes on the bike three times a week just isn't going to cut it.

I'm going to have to come up with some creative solutions, especially as I approach training days that are going to require 4 to 5 or even more hours of riding.

Yesterday I started work early so that I could get in 2 full hours of intervals on the trainer with my old friend Coach Troy. Then, after quick change of clothes it was back to work with a recovery shake and half box of Cheezits to eat at my desk.

After a few hours of accomplishing important designer publishing stuff that currently ranks me as one of the coolest moms in my daughter's Kindergarten class, it was time to pick up the kids and whip together something edible for dinner.

Chad made it home from work early, 6:30 PM, just in time to squeeze in a 40-mile ride in the fading sunlight (he is training for Lumberjack 100 as well!!!). We gave him a quick kiss hello followed by one good bye as he headed back out the door, completely transformed from Carhartts to full spandex.

Then it was bath time for both kids. Story time. Bed time. Clean the kitchen. Fold some laundry. Tuck wandering children into bed a second time—if you're a mom, you know the drill.

Yup, I was ready to crash on the couch with Tom Clancy.

Instead I did this:
My bike, on a trainer, on the deck, in the backyard.
More time on the bike. I could not stomach the idea of spending another 75 minutes in our basement so I set up the bike on the deck. It wasn't anywhere near as nice as riding single track, but it beat the basement--hands down.

Can someone help? How do you not overeat on long training days?

I'm finding that on endurance training days, I eat too much. I believe the issue is fatigue, not hunger. My body wants to take a nap but work and my kids need me to be productive. In fact, I need to be more efficient and productive to make up for the time I spent riding. As a result, I end up snacking to stay awake.

Even though I've cut cornstarch/syrup and added sugars from my diet, I'm considering keeping a bowl of hard candies around. Perhaps if I have a Worther's I won't feel the need to mow through a bag of chips.

Thoughts? Ideas? Please.

Thanks! And in closing I leave this post with a picture of my kid, just because he makes me smile.






2 comments:

melalvai said...

I recommend snacking on something with fat & protein. Like nuts. More satisfying than chips. Hard candies and sugar just leave you hungrier and sleepier than before.

Heather Adventure said...

Thanks for the suggestion! I think I'll try some salty peanuts or a mix. I really crave something salty after a long ride.