Monday, April 30, 2012

The other side of training

Most training is done to prepare your body for the physical endurance and exertion of an event. Training routines work on three different physiological aspects: Energy (anaerboic/aerobic), Cardiovascular (Lactate & Anaerobic Threshold), and Muscular (strength, endurance, speed) systems.

Although I don't follow a training plan, I do try to focus on completing a variety of workouts each week that touches all three systems. The process goes something like this: while brewing my morning cup of coffee and munching on some almonds, I think to myself, "I haven't done strength training in awhile, maybe I should do that today . . . ?" Very scientific stuff.

However, there is one more system that needs training if you ever want to go faster, farther, or reach new heights: Mental strength. When you're lungs are burning, your legs are rebelling, and the finish line shoots out into oblivion it takes mental control, determiniation, will-power and impossible belief to overcome the physical barriers to reach the prize.

Last week for me, while severely lacking in beneficial physical training provided ample opportunities to grow my Mental Strength system.

The week started promising. I had a great plan that included 120 minutes of intervals, a Zone 2 75-mile ride, and a 40 mile single-track ride. However . . .

  • 40 minutes into my interval ride, the 15 year old trainer broke--go figure. (I have to ride the trainer because of my work schedule and having young kids).
  • The night before my planned 75-mile ride, my daughter came down with an ear-infection. 
  • The day I planned the 40-mile single-track ride, my kid-sitter had an unexpected death in the family and traveled out of town for the funeral.
  • Furthermore, Chad worked a bazillion hours last week, getting home well after dinner time every night, including Saturday. No evening or Saturday rides for Chad or I.
  • Sunday we had Coffee duty at church and a April/May Family Birthday celebration.

This is normal. Which is why I do not hire a coach or pay for a training plan. There is not a 100 mile XC race training plan out there that accomodates sick kids, dying relatives, and broken trainers.

With the days quickly disappearing between now and LJ100, I could not afford to get derailed. I am already concerned about being undertrained following my bare-bones training regimen, and then to miss an entire week of training . . . I started to become mentally defeated.

"Failures do what is tension relieving,
while winners do what is goal achieving."

—Dennis Waitley

Although we had no money in the bank I did have a gift card to Breakaway, a pocket full of coupons and a credit card. I got some funny looks and comments while buying a Trainer on a sunny, 60-degree Spring day, but it is an essential tool to my training and I could not get through the week without one.

I kept my road bike locked onto the trainer all week. At every opportunity I hopped on for a spin: 30 minutes in the morning, 45 at lunch, an hour after the kids went to bed—every. single. day. 

Sunday we had a small window of time, I offered to stay home with the kids so Chad could do a 60-mile gravel road ride. After playing soccer with the kids for a bit I parked the trainer on the deck and spinned outside while they played. By now riding the trainer was self-torture. Was I getting any benefit, really, with these short spans of riding?

I questioned my sanity when 5 minutes into the ride I looked up to see Bear (my 2 yo) squatting, full moon exposed, and going to the bathroom in the yard. Having a 2yo boy is a lot like having a puppy. Sadly this incident could not be cleaned up with a plastic bag and a wipe. It required a shovel and a bath. And after all that, I climbed back on the bike.

It would have been easy to let the days slip by this week. I cannot tell you how many times I wanted to sit down on the couch to read a book or to just relax and accept that this was a crazy, busy, demanding week and allow myself a break from training.

This morning I was feeling down about my low-mileage week. And then I realized how I didn't quit. With every road-block and every whine of the body, I made a way and pedaled through it. 

Some weeks aren't about the physical training but about mental preparation. It was a great week afterall. Perhaps one of the most important I'll have.

2 comments:

Danielle Musto said...

You are one tough cookie :-) Trainer workouts are a great way to work on strength/power. You can cram intervals into a shorter workout and get good benefits!
PS. Let me know when you can do a longer ride. We can always ride around here and combine the trifecta with some dirt roads!

Heather Adventure said...

I don't know if I could keep up with you! Maybe if you rode the Mukluk (and we added a 40 pound trailer) . . . :-) Are you pre-riding LJ100 course? I'd love to get up there to check out what I'm going to be up against.