Tuesday, August 7, 2012

North Country


A few days ago I rode North Country Trail. I could not believe how much time has passed since the last time I was out there. I wouldn't be surprised if it was back in the early fall of 2011.

NCT holds a special place in my heart. It's one of the trails where Chad first took me mountain biking almost 10 years ago. At that time mountain biking was a terrifying, death-defying adventure. Chad and I would only go on the trails 2-3 times a year, usually in the fall when his work schedule would slow down a bit. The leaves on the trees would just be turning dark purple, red and orange.


Getting ready at the trail head I would be covered in goose-bumps, more from anxiety than the chilly autumn air. A simple 8-mile ride would be an all day event. Chad was lucky if I could get to a top speed of 7-8 mph and I would need a break every mile just to let my nerves settle.


We'd end the ride with a stop at Heritage Farm Market for Apple Cider and homemade baked goods then cruise home listening to 10,000 Maniacs. Those were the early years.



More recently NCT has come to be one of my favorite trails—not only for the memories but because it's not a loop. The North Country Trail is "America's longest National Scenic Trail stretching 4,600 miles from New York to North Dakota, linking 7 states, 10 National Forests and more than 150 public lands." Even though time and responsibility always draws me back, there is a sense when I'm out there that I could just keep on riding. The twists and turns weave forward unlike many trails where each rotation of the crank essentially pulls you back to the parking lot.


Now that we have young kids, Chad and I rarely have a chance to ride together. It's bittersweet to ride at NCT alone, thinking back 10 years ago and our stops for Apple Cider. What was once a place of nervous jitters is now an open road of solitude, reflection and a place to clear my head.


One of my favorite pictures from NCT, US10 Trail.



1 comment:

Zoomy said...

Yep, clearly I need to get up for a ride that way, soon. I loved running the sections covered on the NCT relay.