Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Hill Repeats

Lake Michigan
The weather has been great for riding. Windy, but great. Look at those white-caps on the big lake!

I've been attempting to get back into a structured "training" regime the last few weeks. One workout I've added to my repertoire is hill repeats. I hate hill repeats. Probably because I stink at them. Which is why I should be really doing them . . .


Something that has resonated with me is the concept that training/exercise/activity should be done with "purpose." The purpose can be anything from relieving stress, getting faster, increasing endurance, or working on technical skills/technique.

Every time I begin to exercise I ask myself, what is my purpose? Perhaps I'm doing a casual ride with some friends. That's a great time to work on technical skills: cornering, positioning, etc. Sometimes the purpose of a ride is to simply recover. Other times, like today, it's improving my climbing abilities.

And that's the other thing: my climbing NEEDS improving. I'm a bit like a locomotive. It takes me awhile to get rolling, gain momentum. I am the picture of the Little Engine That Could. Inspiring perhaps, but not pretty and certainly not fast, but eventually I get the job done.

Highest elevation point in Muskegon County (which isn't that high)

The base of the climb.
It was a successful workout in that afterwards my legs were wobbly. I ached with the stress of a body that had been driven to its limits. After beating myself up I recovered with a nice bath and cool chocolate/peanut butter/banana smoothie.

Also, awhile back I mentioned I had won a drawing for a limited edition Exergy Tour jersey. I finally took a picture. Here it is!


I love this jersey! Not only is it a lovely shade of green, but its full zip. FULL ZIP. Every jersey should be full zip. It makes it so much easier when doing a quick-change at the trail head. Trail head you say? But that is a roadie jersey!?! I guess it is. But it's going to be seeing a lot of DIRT.

Happy riding!

No comments: