Friday, September 7, 2012

Yet another trip Up North, pt. 2

Bike Carts, looks like fun. Right? Mmmmhmmmm.

Timber Ridge Resort has a bunch of activities/amenties on site, which is one of the reasons we like camping there. They have a pool, a kids pool for the littlest ones, mini golf, dodge-ball, playground, bike park, and you can rent pedal carts.
2-Person Pedal cart
Tweens and kids flying through the park, giggling and whooping on these 4-wheeled, pedal bikes is a regular site at Timber Ridge. Our kids were begging to rent one.

Being a "cycling" family, Chad and I thought it was a good idea. We rented two. Chad and Bear in one and Sage and I in the other.

Unfortunately there were some unforeseen mechanical issues. First, these were not made for anyone over 5 feet tall. My knees were banging into the steering wheel with every crank of the pedal. If I moved the seat back further to stretch my legs then I couldn't reach the steering wheel. It was a sticky conundrum. But we were doing this for the kids. And just about anything we do "for the kids" requires sacrifice. Bruised and banged up knees it was going to be and I wasn't going to complain about it.

As I mentioned we had witnessed countless tween duets pedaling up and down the roads in these carts. Surely two experienced, strong mountain bike racing adults could adequately, nay, supremely motor the pedal carts at lightening speeds.

Yeah. Not so much.

Sage and I began pedaling away from the lodge and I was immediately taken aback by how much strength and effort it took to move the cart forward. I told myself that once we picked up some momentum it would get easier.

It didn't. And that was on a gradual descent.

We came to our first hill (maybe 3 feet of elevation gain with a 1% grade) and the cranks nearly came to a halt. I had to put every fiber of strength I had into each, painstakingly slow drive to the pedal. It was brutal. Thankfully I have some pride because if I didn't I would have gotten out and pushed the darn thing up the hill. It would have been faster.

By the time our 30 minute rental was up I felt like I had raced Iceman thrice over then had my hamstrings battered with a meat tenderizer.

If Iceman ever wanted to up-the-ante, all they would have to do is host pedal-cart races around Timber Ridge. I hope they seriously consider adding this event. The campground would be littered with deflated egos.

Sleeping Bear Dunes


Typically we squeeze every once out of a vacation as possible. The campgrounds tend to kick campers out around noon on check-out day but there is still so much "day" left to be enjoyed! We often pay for an extra night just for the privilege of being parked past dinnertime.

I found a handful of Petoskey stones during our trip!

However, we are now the parents of a First Grader and with school starting the next day, we decided to pack up and head home at the allotted check-out time.

But that didn't stop us from making a small detour.

Earlier this summer I went on a trip with some friends to Glen Arbor and experienced Sleeping Bear Dunes for the first time. I wanted to share this amazing place with my family.

We cruised over to Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore and parked the truck and camper in Glen Haven. This was an optimal location to allow us to hike to the Ghost Forest and then ride our bikes on the Sleeping Bear Dunes Heritage Trail.

Chad and Bear hiking the "Dunes" trail.

We stopped in the shade for a picnic lunch.

After our hike we rode the bike path. Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures! Doh. Here is a picture I found online:

Currently 8 miles long. Eventually it will be 27.
Of course after all of that hiking and biking we had to . . . 


. . . Refuel and recover.


By this time evening was drawing near and we had already blown well beyond our intended departure time. What the heck, let's hit the Pierce Stocking Scenic Drive!

One of the Scenic Overlooks. Just beyond where they are standing is a 450 foot vertical drop. 
Many tourists were running down the dune than clawing, crawling, and crying their way back up. The brochure warns that it takes minutes to descend and well over 90 minutes to climb back up. Growing up on the coast of Lake Michigan I am well aware of how difficult it is to climb a sand dune. We had no desire to attempt that feat with two tired kids. Instead we stayed on top and enjoyed the immense view.

What better place to see a "sleepy Bear" than at Sleeping Bear Dunes?

Here is a blogpost about cycling Pierce Stocking from Morancity.

With one more Grand family adventure in the books it was time to go home. . . . Until the next time anyways. We have several more family camping trips planned this year and I can't wait. Nothing tops Michigan in the Fall!

No comments: