Monday, February 18, 2013

Vacations Over.

Hello? Anyone out there?

Probably not. I apologize for my sudden and lengthy absence from the blog. Shortly after I wrote my last post I developed a stress fracture in my foot during Zumba class. Unfortunately the injury changed the landscape of my winter training plans and my waistline.

A stress fracture occurs in a weight-bearing bone and is usually caused by repeated stress.  While my body was experiencing the debilitating effects of the stress fracture to my foot, the rest of me was feeling beaten down from the accumulation of life stresses.

January was a uniquely stressful month for myself and my family. We refinanced, had to switch daycare providers (if you've had kids you know what a difficult decision that is), held my cats as they went to sleep for the last time, and for the first time I experienced what its like to represent a company on the front lines—something that is simultaneously rewarding and difficult.

However, at the end of January we somehow managed to pull everything together, hitched up the trailer and headed south for two full weeks of camping at Fort Wilderness Resort.

Our days were filled with walking, biking, swimming, reading and napping. It was divine. We even managed to make it to each of the parks: Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Animal Kingdom, and Hollywood Studios. It was a wonderful time of family-togetherness and recuperation.

Sidelined with an injury, I had to take out my aggression on some alien-life-forms at Epcot.

Sage's homework assignment while on vacation was vlogs to her classroom about Disney World:


I'm back. My foot is slowly healing. I should be able to start biking in 2-4 weeks and running sometime in April. Lumberjack and Iceman registration are just a couple of weeks away . . .


1 comment:

Zoomy said...

You're making the best of a crummy situation...and doing it well! So sorry to hear about your kitties. That is an awful heartache.

I'm glad you can get back to biking soon. I think I am going to start attempting outdoor rides come March. My wrist is still not great, but I should be able to handle my 29er on the roads, since the brakes and shifting are such a light touch.