Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Iceman: Slushcup Edition 2014, PT 1

Icemans of Past 2010 and 2012

This was my first year attending Iceman as a Slushcupper. I was worried that once we arrived at the expo that I would have regrets about not signing up for the whole shebang. Let me tell you, that was not the case. It was AWESOME!

The dreaded weather report of 34 degrees, rain and wind (arguable the worst conditions for a mountain bike race ever) was a blip in my radar--after all, I was only going to be out there for an hour. One can endure just about any kind of conditions for that long. Sleep and nutrition--other aspects that generally heighten my nerves were of no concern. I wasn't racing! There was, for once, no pressure. I was looking forward to a day of riding with awesome, inspiring kids followed by indulging in the spoils of one of the biggest parties in Northern Michigan.

Sage, Gage, myself, and a photobomber sizing up her competition at the Slushcup start line
My riding buddies of the day were my daughter Sage and a friend of ours, Gage. Sage has gained some mountain bike racing experience this summer having competed at Big M, then doing her first solo races at Skirts in the Dirt, and Pando Fall Challenge. I had never ridden with Gage before and was uncertain what his experience was to that point, but I knew his family rolled with Team Troll. I could tell both Sage and Gage were very nervous.

We were assigned Wave 4 (the last wave in the Slush Cup). As each wave proceeded to be ticked off and the crowd amassed forward, both Sage and Gage were inclined to stay put. Eventually it seemed like there was a good 20 foot gap between us and the rest of Wave 4. I casually mentioned moving to the front but S(G)age implored me to stay right where I was. The crowd was clearly increasing their apprehension. I think if S(G)age had their way, they would have had a Wave 5 created just for them.

My competitive nature was twitching to shove both kids to the front of the line. But, this was their race and I was just along for the ride ;) If we never, ever passed one person (Sage has been known to start last, catch someone, stop, let them get ahead again before starting to ride) then that's what we were going to do!

Before we knew it the race had started! And S(G)age each had one foot on the peddle and the other on the ground, letting the chaos at the start line clear while they stood motionless for the moment.

. . . But then we were off!

The End of Part 1.
I'll finish the rest tomorrow! This mom only has so much time to write in one day . . .

Our home at Iceman / Timber Ridge


No comments: