Thursday, June 28, 2012

Women's Up North Escape: Glen Arbor


Upon finishing our first 100 mile bike race, Chad and I parted ways. He went back home to care for the kids and provide for his family while Michelle and I headed North to meet up with friends Roxanne, Laurie, Kelly, and Shelly for a few days of vay-kay. (Michelle's husband went to Silver Lake for a few days of vacation himself. We should all feel extra bad for Chad being the only one that had to go back to work.)

Our destination: The Homestead Resort in Glen Arbor on the coast of Lake Michigan.

My intention was to sleep in every day, drink coffee, followed by reading on the beach, lunching, a laze by the pool, relaxing in the hot tub, dinner, wine, and watching the sunset. Nothing but peace, quiet and rest for me.

So when Roxanne arrived and started making a list of all the things we needed to do and when . . . well, I plugged my ears like a toddler and started singing "Lalalalalalalala I can't hear you!" Then grabbed a beer from the fridge and found a lounge chair on the deck.

I should have known better. Things NEVER go the way I plan. As it turned out I was up by 7ish every morning and filled nearly every minute of the few days we were there with hiking, biking, exploring, kayaking, followed by even more hiking, biking, . . . you get the idea.

I won't bore you with a blow-by-blow of the week, I'll share photos instead:

River for tubing and kayaking in front of The Homestead. Flows into Lake Michigan.

Short board walk to beach.

Michelle, Shelly, Me, Laurie and Kelly ready to tackle THE Dune Climb (Roxanne is taking the photo)

Our sturdy, large calf muscles enable us to destroy those dunes!

Look how teeny-tiny they look at the bottom.

Miles and hours later we arrive at Lake Michigan.

Kelly and Laurie biking the newly opened Sleeping Bear Heritage Trail.


Kayaking Crystal River.

Having an engaging, intelligent conversation. Michelle, Me, Kelly.

Roxanne and Laurie at the Scenic Overlook.

Me, mid-hike on an explore to find the Ghost Forest.

Kelly at the Ghost Forest. We wore everyone else out. They stayed at the condo to "rest" and "relax." Wimps.

Kelly and I stayed to watch the sunset.

Links for more information on Glen Arbor and Sleeping Bear Dunes:

2 comments:

Zoomy said...

Oh, that sounds so heavenly! I love that area. I have yet to do the dune climb. The first time DH and I were there was before Dane was conceived. We were already exhausted from a lot of hiking (and this was when we were both heavier and not at all fit). The next time I was 14 weeks pregnant and having bleeding issues, so I stayed in the car. Someday we need to take DS there.

Heather Adventure said...

The Dune Climb was HARD work. It took us about 3 hours. The brochure said to expect a 3-4 hour hike. Your DS is old enough now, but I would never try and take my kids on that hike. It would be misery for everyone involved.