Wednesday, October 3, 2012

A Howling Tale

I am so fortunate to live in West Michigan. I love the beaches, the state parks, the woods, the trails, the weather (even the snow!). I can't imagine a life without a Lake Michigan sunset.

Last week I had a free night all to myself. The sun had already started to set and it was too dark to ride so I put on some hiking clothes and headed to Lake Michigan.

This is just east of the first of three sand dunes.

While there were a scattering of cars parked along the lakeshore I chose to hike about a half mile east to the highest sand dune to watch the show.

Getting closer to the top. In the middle-left is the peak of the first sand dune pictured.
Just enough clouds to make a spectacular sunset and clear sky for star-gazing!
It was supremely silent in the bowl of the sand dune. Occasionally I heard some rustling in the trees around me and at one point I saw several deer run across the clearing.

I kicked off my shoes, dug my toes into the sand and laid down to watch the second-act: the moon rising and the stars splattering across the sky.


The moon was so bright and full that it was casting shadows!

It was amazing and peaceful, I contemplated spending the night right there in the sand under the open sky.

Instantly I felt a prickle up the back of my neck. I sat up, my heart in my throat. 

I had heard a sound, like a loud cough or rasp. At least, I thought I had. But it was so quiet, I couldn't hear anything but the rapid beating of my heart.

Maybe it was my imagination.


Errrrfffff!

I definitely heard something! I grabbed my shoes and stood up. Just as I started to descend the sand dune I saw THEM.

Five Coyotes.

A pack of Coyotes.
Between myself and the half mile-hike through the dunes to my car!

I've spent a good deal of time now at Muskegon Sate Park and the surrounding area and have witnessed some spectacular wildlife: Blue Herons take flight, Bald Eagles on the hunt, and I once saw a Bobcat race across Scenic Drive at Block House Hill. 

I have even seen Coyotes before. A few years ago we had a mangy Coyote roaming in our yard. Another time I was riding my bike and saw a pair of Coyote's running along the roadside.

But I had never been alone, in the dark, behind the lines of a pack of wild Coyotes.

Am I over-dramatizing this? Probably! I am one of those people that not only believes in the Worst Case Scenario, I think it's the Most-Likely Scenario.

I was nervous.

Alone, in the woods and feeling stupid and scared, I did the only thing I knew to do: make lots of noise. I started clapping my hands loudly and talking to myself. Then I remembered I had my iPod! I turned on some music and started singing along.

The coyotes turned and headed to the tree line. I didn't hesitate to descend the sand dune and skedaddle out of there, singing and clapping the entire way!


I was so relieved to summit the last dune, just 100 feet from my car.

This weekend we're camping at Muskegon State Park. We'll probably take the kids on a night-hike, the wild-life viewing is spectacular after dark. I just hope we don't run into anymore Coyotes!

No comments: