Friday, September 19, 2008

Another Marathon

Spirit of the Marathon: Documentary on the 2006 Chicago Marathon

When I crossed the finish line at the 2006 Chicago Marathon, I skipped up to my husband, leaping into his arms and said "Can we do that again?!" I knew right away that there was a second marathon in me, but I didn't know when.

Running the marathon was a special commitment. I decided to run it shortly after giving birth to my daughter even though I had never run more than 3 miles. I was afraid that the onset of motherhood would also mean the onset of weight. Weight that I had worked so hard to lose. More than that, I was afraid to lose the lifestyle that I had learned to really enjoy. Running, biking, hiking--I loved being active. And I didn't want to give up those activities.

I figured committing to a marathon would be a sure-fire guarantee that I would stay fit and active. Something I could do just for me so I wouldn't lose myself in Motherhood.

And it was an amazing journey. In fact, I ran that marathon 1 day after Sage's birthday.

It takes a long time to recover after an event like that. Other marathons came and went, and I couldn't muster the excitement or energy to commit to the training schedule.

Until now. It happened almost over night, but I am on fire. Even though I have a badly sprained ankle, I have already begun my training: spinning on a stationary bike, building core strength, and eating my veggies. 

Here I come TC Bayshore Marathon 2010

No comments: