Monday, October 13, 2008

Biking with Sage

Cycling has always been a big part of Sage's life, I biked well into my ninth month of pregnancy. I was certain the giant bruise on her head was not from descending through the birth canal, but from me kneeing her so many times on my bike rides.

The first few months I brought her to spin class. I would set her car seat down in front of my bike so she could see me. She watched for 60 minutes, 3 times a week, as I sweated on that stationary bike, going nowhere, but really fast if I do say so myself.

Then came the glorious moment when she was big enough to ride in the bike trailer. I was back to my usual weekly group rides, towing Sage 30 to 40 miles two to three nights a week. 

Now that she's almost 3, she wants to ride her own bike. And, hey, the kid now weighs 30 lbs, so I can only tow her about 25 miles before I'm ready to be done anyways.

The Potty-Fairy brought her a princess bike this summer that she loves to ride around the block.

But what about when she rides with me? I was starting to think that it's time to get a Trail-A-Bike. It's a small half-bike that attaches to the back of an adult bike. This would be great for rides around the neighborhood. But what about road bike riding? Touring? Going on 30 and 40 and even 100 mile adventures? I've been thinking that my road-riding days were going to be over for a decade or two.

Until I came across this:


It's a child adjustment kit for tandem bikes. Suddenly, all the wonderful possibilities of road riding opened up again. There are so many adventures Sage and I could embark on together on our tandem bike. And, maybe, we could even try a tandem mountain bike . . . ? Hmmm, that's one to think about. 

Now all I need to do is convince Chad that it's worth investing a couple thousand dollars into a tandem bike and child stoker kit. I sure hope the economy bounces back soon or I get a great raise so I can treat myself and Sage to one of these. 

Click on this site for more information on Child Stoker Kits.

2 comments:

Erin said...

How old/big was Sage when you stuck her in the bike trailer? We're REALLY looking forward to being able to do that with Calvin (especially the past few days when it's been soooooooo nice out.

Heather Adventure said...

I believe the rule is they need to be sitting up on their own. Sage was born in late October, so she was 6 or 7 months before the weather was even nice enough to take her out.

I do know some people that have tried putting the car seat in the trailer. You could try that as long as you could get it in there securely. I have rolled Sage's trailer a few times, so I'm cautious about it.