Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Working out just isn't working out

With the fall weather creeping in, my energy seems to be seeping out. This week I ran my slowest 5k ever. It was a torturous 40 minutes where I felt like I was trying to wade through water. But, I still did it. 

I've been too lazy to gear up in a cold weather cycling kit, so I've retired my bike to the indoor trainer. I crawled on last night with a goal of 90 minutes of spinning. Unfortunately, what I was doing felt nothing like spinning and a lot more like trudging. Ever hike in 4 ft of snow in snow-shoes? It kinda felt like that. But, I did it. Well, 60 minutes of it anyways.

Today is a rest day for me. I'll do some pushups and crunches tonight, maybe go for a short walk with Sage—and all of that sounds like too much right now. 

Even though this tiredness that is draining the marrow out of my bones feels like forever, I know it will eventually pass. 

As we all know, there are peaks and valleys. I must be working my way up to a peak right now, because walking through a valley sure doesn't take this much effort.

I'm going to keep moving on. I'm going to lace up my running shoes, crank on my cleats, clip into my bike, hit the trails, and pull out the weights. Slowly. Painfully.

No comments: