Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Hello Sunshine

Can you believe this weather? What a beautiful weekend we had. I thought it was a crime to be indoors on Sunday. As soon as the kids ate breakfast, I scooted them out the door.

I had some chores I needed to get done inside before I could play with the kids. I glanced out the window every few minutes to check on them. About my third glance they had disappeared. Hmmmm. Fourth glance, still no kids.

Thankfully, by the fifth glance they materialized from behind the shed. My daughter had dragged out the bikes and fitted our 2yo son with his helmet. They were rarin' to go!

They each got in about 50 laps around the house before I was finally ready to ride (time drags on forever when you're a kid).

One of my top priorities this year is to teach my daughter to rider her bike downhill. The sooner, the better.

I announced to the kids we'd be riding down the bike path. I was met with immediate and forceful resistance from my daughter. She knew what that meant: the BIG HILL.

I can't do it! You can't make me! Noooo!!! Followed by gushes of tears.

Look, kid. You have to learn to ride down hills.

Fortunately, "the Big Hill," although while it is big, it is also gradual. We took small sections at a time. I'd ride ahead and then stand across the bike path so I could stop her if she got going out of control.

I was not surprised to turn around to see her walking her bike while throwing wild accusations at me "You just left me! You abaondoned me!"

I was 30 feet in front of her, after I explained exactly what I was doing. Sigh.

Let's try another little section of hill. You can do this, girl! I hollered back. This time she was at least ON her bike, but she was dragging both of her feet and screaming.

Okay, okay, see--you did it!

No I didn't! I was going to die!

This is the last section. You can do this. Just keep those two fingers on the brakes. You've got this!

And you know what, she did it!

No comments: