Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Splurge!

Years ago when I became pregnant with our first child, I panicked. My husband was working a bazillion hours then and I knew that I would be home alone with this kid that I had never met. I imagined myself being anchored to the house. I was suffocating.

Even though we didn't have the money at the time and my husband was vehemently against it, I spent the big bucks and bought brand-spankin' new Burley Solo AND a Burley Piccolo bike trailer. Bike rides, I imagined, would be my great-escape.

Turns out, those were investments well worth it. I've spent hours and hours and miles upon miles riding with the kids. When everyone became cranky and ornery, I'd pull the bikes out, strap on the helmets, grab a few snacks and the stress would fly away in the wind as we pedaled.

I have never regretted spending money on either of those products. However, there is a myriad of baby products I was told I "must-have!" that I completely regret buying (Bumbo, boppy, babyswing, the 'Travel System' . . .  trust me, do not waste your money on a travel system).

A few years have passed, we find ourselves with 2 kids, ages 6 and almost 3 years old. And our 3 year old is wanting to do everything his older sister is doing. Which means he does not want to ride in the Solo Trailer, he wants to ride on a tag-a-long bike.

Our 6 year old has some good bike handling skills and is in good shape--she is more than capable of going on 3-5 mile bike rides on her own bike, freeing up the Piccolo for our son.

However . . .

Who is happy just going on a 5 mile bike ride? That's great for after dinner on a week night. But what about those long 12 mile rides to the beach? The ice-cream shop? Around the Bay in Traverse City????

Once again, I found myself splurging this morning. I gagged the part of my brain that attempts to be financially responsible and ordered one of these . . .
It's a Wee-Hoo I-Go trailer (who wouldn't want to ride on a Wee-hoo?).
It should arrive on Monday morning. I. Can. Not. Wait. 

Disclaimer: Why didn't I get another Burley Piccolo? I have to say that I love, love, LOVE my Piccolo. However, our son is a little young and too short to comfortably ride sitting up on it yet. At almost 3 years old, I was concerned about him balancing and hanging on for long bike rides. The Wee-hoo will give him a more comfortable ride while allowing him to participate by pedaling and sitting in the open.

No comments: