Thursday, May 10, 2012

Injury update

>>>Read the Fort Custer Stampede Re-cap at GTMTBA here.<<<

Shoulder Update

There's not much to report on this week. Monday I had my shoulder popped back in place and was told to take several days of rest before attempting to train. I was in a lot of pain/discomfort on Monday and Tuesday. After soaking in an Epsom salt bath followed by icing it and taking several pain meds, I finally started feeling better.

This morning I attempted an easy 2-mile run. Halfway in my shoulder started to ache with moderate intensity. I walked the remaining mile and applied another ice pack. I'm going to attempt a bike ride this evening (if Chad get's home from work on time--which is about a 50/50 chance). I'm hoping the shoulder handles biking better than it did running. Fingers crossed.

Hand Update

While I was at the doctor's office on Monday, I had my hand looked at. Because it was a puncture wound, the cut closed rather quickly. However, it was not healing properly in-spite of my best efforts to keep it clean and applying disinfectant cream. My hand was aching to the bone, red, swollen, and part of the wound was still open.

The doctor confirmed that there was an infection in the joint. She recommended soaking my hand and then applying Amerigel. I can not believe how quickly Amerigel accomplished what Triple Antibiotic could not. The infection is almost completely gone and my hand is feeling ten times better.

On the positive side . . . 
Crashing means you get a new helmet!





No comments: