Friday, July 20, 2012

Delivery!

Look what arrived on my doorstep this afternoon (while I was trapped at home shampooing--still shampooing carpets)!

Merrell Bare Access Arc and Merrell Lithe Glove
I've been hemming and hawing over getting new running shoes. I'm about a year overdue on path shoes and, oh, 5 years behind on getting new trail running shoes. In the past I've been a faithful New Balance girl. The shoes fit well and I've never had a problem with them.

However, Merrell is a local company AND I've been faithfully following their progress on the currently "under-construction" Merrell Trails. (Photos from Merrell Trails FB Page).

This looks like fun to bike on!
More mountain bike trail . . . 

I think I'll let Michelle try this one first.

Did I mention that I can't wait until Merrell Trails open!?!?!

Merrell has been hosting Trail Work days every Wednesday evening. As much as I really want to go and lend a hand, Wednesday happens to be the night we have Family Mountain Biking Club. The work they are currently doing is more adult-oriented and there aren't many tasks for the kids (I asked).

Since I can't be there to help build the trail, I've really wanted to support Merrell by purchasing their products. It's the least I can do!

I'm just getting back into running after taking months and months off. My mileage is still low (3-4 miles at a time) and I'm focusing on my form. I thought now would be the perfect time to try new shoes. I've been especially interested in trying "minimal" or "barefoot" style shoes.

Working from home for the last 8-9 years, I spend almost all of my time barefoot. My feet have gotten a little wider, a little longer, and grown more muscly. I've gotten to the point I can't stand wearing anything on my feet.

Fingers crossed I get a chance to test these babies out this weekend. The only question remaining is which ones to try first? The Lithe or the Bare Access?

3 comments:

Zoomy said...

That's a really good reason to support Merrell. If/when I ever return to trail running I want to try one of the new Merrell shoes. Any idea if they would work for a wider foot?

Heather Adventure said...

I have wider feet. I can't wear most dress shoes because of my square-shaped feet. On the other hand, I haven't needed to buy running shoes in a wide width, but I do sometimes need mens for the roomier toe box. . . . Does that help?

Zoomy said...

It does--sounds like we have similar feet. Men's regular width is the same as women's wides...I wear men's cycling shoes and they could still be wider once my feet swell or in a heavier sock.

I used to wear NBs, too...and then they changed the last a couple of years ago and they haven't fit me right since. I've been having good luck with Nikes, since they seem to be pretty generous through the toebox.