Monday, August 27, 2012

Top Five Events for Fall: 4 & 5

Getting this Fall Events Preview wrapped up today! There's been a lot going on, hence the single post from last week. Without further ado, here are my #4 and 5 Events for Fall:

For the Family:

4) Muskegon YMCA Turkey Trot

MLive (Muskegon Chronicle)
What it is: 5k walk/jog/run along Muskegon Lake on the morning of Thanksgiving Day. Presented by the Muskegon Family YMCA. Casual, family-friendly atmosphere.

Why I like it: The Muskegon YMCA Turkey Trot has become a Brewer Family tradition. The weather is almost always terrible but the crowd is none-the-less enthusiastic. It's a great way to kick-off the holiday. After a brisk 3 mile run it's much easier to enjoy a piece of pumpkin pie.

Thanks to volunteers there are oodles of giveaways post-race. Prizes range from totes and t-shirts to a large assortment of homemade baked goods. It's just about impossible to leave this event without a goody-bag. If you dress up as a turkey you receive extra raffle tickets (for some reason I forget this detail every year and then wonder why so many people are wearing snoods and fans). This event is for EVERYONE: from strollers, walkers, joggers to runners. Come on out!

Details:
Muskegon YMCA Turkey Trot
Thanksgiving Day
5k Walk/Jog/Run
(check back later this fall for information on their website).

For the Mountain biker:

5) Iceman Cometh Challenge After Party

Finish venue Timber Ridge Resort
What it is: "The Bell’s Beer Iceman Cometh Challenge is a 29 mile point-to-point mountain bike race from Kalkaska to Traverse City, Michigan. Held traditionally on the first Saturday of November (except for years when the first Saturday of November is the 1st), the 23rd annual Bell’s Iceman will be held on Saturday, November 3, 2012. Over $54,000 in cash prizes and $10,000 in merchandise prizes will be awarded." That's the race part . . .

Why I like it: I'll admit, I hesitated putting Iceman on my top 5 list. I've only done this race twice (2010 and 2011) and have my registration reserved for this year. My first year racing I was under the relatively new rule of the preferred start. Because of the number of racers (over 4,500), Iceman starts in a series of waves, about 45 of them. Veteran Icemen/women get preferred starts based on previous finish times. New racers are started last. That meant in 2010, my first year, I had to race in wave 42. The traffic on the trail was the worst I've ever experienced. I won't go into detail about how much I hated racing Iceman that year, you can read it here instead. But it was so bad that I almost quit mountain bike racing altogether. My friends convinced to me to come back the next year to see if the experience was better having a preferred start. It was night and day! Which is why I'll be back for a third year.

The best part of Iceman isn't the race, it's the after party at Timber Ridge Resort. There are thousands of mountain bike enthusiasts gathered at the finish venue enjoying beer, food, campfires, and more. Some of the fastest Pro's from around the US come to race and the crowds line up 4-5 people deep to watch them fly across the finish line. The mountain bike racing season is over (unless you've got a fatbike and are gearing up for the Great Lakes Fat Bike Series). For the rest of us its time to hang up our wheels, kick up our feet, and enjoy a cold one around the campfire with good friends.

It's too late to pick up a registration (unless you are able to transfer in). But even if you are unable to race this is worth attending as a volunteer or spectator. I hope you decide to come on up to Timber Ridge and join the party!

Details:
Iceman Cometh Challenge
Traverse City, MI
November 2, 2012

Other Awesome Fall Events:

NOW - Owasippe is open for riding!!!!
9/8 -  Battle at the Burg, Grand Rapids (Mountain bike race)
10/4 - Reveal the Path presented by Ada Bike Shop, Grand Rapids (Movie)
11/3 - Turkey Trail Run at Hoffmaster State Park, Muskegon (5k trail run)


No comments: