Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Top Five Events for Fall: Peak2Peak Mountain Bike Classic

Top Five for this Fall:
1) Grand Rapids Urban Adventure Race: Art Prize Edition
2) Scardy Pants 5k Trail Adventure: Zombie Apocalypse

For the Mountain biker: from the Experienced to the First Time Racer

 3) Peak 2 Peak Mountain Bike Classic

Photos from Endoman Promotions Website.
What it is: "Peak 2 Peak [mountain bike race] is held in and around the beautiful and gently rolling terrain which surrounds Crystal Mountain and will start and finish right at the resort!" Lap distances are approximately 11 miles. Beginners do 1 lap and bypass the large climb up the ski hill, Sport races 2 and Expert 3 laps.

Beautiful fall colors and flowy single track!
Why it's one of my favorites: "The hardwood and pine forests along with rambling two-tracks and flowing single-track will have you humming as you race." < This! Last year was my first of what I imagine will be many times racing this event. The strongest memory I have is humming and singing while I was riding. The course was a delight (other than that ski climb that didn't seem to end). It is relatively flat, smooth, with just a few moderate technical sections which makes it an ideal course for those interested in participating in their first race.

There are plenty of pre- and post-race activities at the lodge. Spectators can ride the chair lift to the top of the ski climb to cheer on demoralized racers struggling up the back. This is a family-friendly event, so bring the kids! Rent a condo or reserve a hotel room at Crystal Mountain for the weekend and enjoy the fall weather and colors of Northern Michigan while they are at their best!

Peak 2 Peak 2011: Crossing the finish line in 3rd!

. . . And it might also be one of my "favorites" because it is the only race I've ever podiumed (podiumed is a legitimate word in Mountain Bike Speak) in the Expert Cat. Sadly, there won't be a repeat this year. It's Chad's turn to race Expert, my turn to watch the kids. I'll either be racing Sport while he watches the kids or, hopefully, riding in the Beginner race with Snoose.

Details:
Thompsonville, MI (Crystal Mountain Resort)
Saturday, October 13
Sponsor: Right Brain Brewery

In other news . . .

Chad and I rode the MOST Tour  with Snoose and Bear this weekend, hosted by none other than the West Michigan Coast Riders. Chad has a few photos on his phone. If I can steal it away tonight I'll do a ride report. 

And . . . I have some friends that rode the ODRAM or One Day Ride Across Michigan. Approximately 150 miles from shore to shore. Kuddos to Kelly, Kirsten, Derek, Matt, and Jim S.! 

2 comments:

dsds said...


Excellent blog you’ve got here.It’s difficult to find high-quality writing like yours nowadays. I really appreciate individuals like you! Take care!! Please check out my site.
Riverbank condo

dsds said...


Excellent blog you’ve got here.It’s difficult to find high-quality writing like yours nowadays. I really appreciate individuals like you! Take care!! Please check out my site.
Riverbank condo