Monday, September 24, 2012

Mountain biking is just about the hardest racing there is to do.

Shredding the last single track section before the finish


That's what Chad said yesterday after riding Pando Fall Classic. He also said that to me years ago when I first contemplated racing myself. I didn't really believe him. I mean, seriously, you're on a bike (what's more fun than that?) and you get to sit down (on that bike) for the entire race. It's not like running where you're on your feet, pounding pavement. Mountain bike racing could not possibly be more challenging than running a marathon.

I have since learned my lesson. And if you've done a mountain bike race you know what we're talking about. Mountain bike racing challenges every system in your body: strength, endurance, aerobic and mental focus. It's tough.

My daughter learned that lesson yesterday.

Sage climbing the ski hill to the finish line at Pando


The picture above sums up the entire experience for her: she had to dig deep.

I won't sugar-coat the experience. It was rough. There were tears for 95% of the race. However, given the opportunity to quit, she refused and pushed on.

One of the other girls in her AG, a more "experienced" racer at the young age of 9-10 was waiting at the ski hill for Sage to finish. She cheered her all the way up the climb along with the crowd of spectators and racers that had long earlier finished. Then she congratulated Sage at the finish line. It was a great display of sportsmanship and it meant the world to Sage.

One of the reasons I love mountain biking, especially racing, is that is has pushed me beyond what I thought my limitations were. It takes you so deep into suffering that all you see is black and pain lights up your legs like fire crackers. But somehow you find a way to keep going. It's true what is said at Leadville 100 every year: You are stronger than you think you are and can do more than you think you can do.

At bedtime we talked about what a tough, difficult race she had. It was the hardest thing she has ever done! But she learned something amazing and invaluable about herself: she endured.

2 comments:

Zoomy said...

She is so tough--that Pando hill is evil! I don't think most adults would willingly ride a bike up that. Sage is going to do HUGE things!

Heather Adventure said...

Thanks Kirsten. She is definitely a unique kid--strong-willed, determined and many other things as well :-) Kids are so inspiring to me because they are unfiltered. You see everything: the struggle, the fight, the tears, the joy--they literally bring you right along for the ride. Pando would not have been my choice for her first race with all the climbing, but she wanted to do it--and she did!